Saturday, January 25, 2014

Landen Family!


Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt Dede, Dad and Uncle David about sixty years ago. My Grandparents were both born and raised in Bradford, PA and then met and moved to North Tonawanda (NT). My Grandfather lost his father at a young age and helped support his family even before that. My Great-Grandfather only spoke Swedish and used my Grandfather as his interpreter to collect rent from the properties he owned. When the depression hit most of the properties were lost except for about 100 acres on Mount Olive in Bradford. That is still mostly owned under my family name by my cousins and brother.  My Grandfather was one of the first pilots in the U.S. and flew small planes into the Mount Olive Municipal Airport in the 1930'. He packed up his new wife and moved to NT in the mid 40' and got a job with Durez/Occidental Chemical and worked there for 30 plus years. He even agreed to open their Fort Erie, Canada Plant and became a duel citizen. He enjoyed his retirement of about equal years to his work years to the hilt. Living as a snowbird between Florida and Canada. Giving me the chance to know him and become his friend as well as his youngest grandson. He passed away twenty years ago but it still hurts. I never knew a better man besides him, except for the parts of him that were in my Dad. I know he is sitting at that bar in heaven having some great laughs with all who has joined him. Love you and miss you Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment