Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Marine Science Technician


In 1995 while I was still in High School my Dad drove us all the way to Tampa some seventy-five miles to meet with a United States Coast Guard recruiter. I had met all the other four branches recruiters at my alternative school at Walt Disney World but no one from the Coast Guard showed up. So, I got curious went out watched the video and was sold immediately. But I was seventeen and had a bunch of ideas in my head. Then one dinner at Sonny's Real Pit Barbecue in Kissimmee, I met a Coast Guard Chief from New England. He was the one who firmed up my desire to join at some point. Well, life went on from 1996-2000 and I worked full-time and tried to go to college and have a family but nothing panned out. So, in February 2000 I joined the Coast Guard reserves and in March 2002 I went active duty and was Honorably Discharged in August 2011. The nine years I was on active duty were the most successful and rewarding of my professional career. It challenged my thoughts, perceptions, intellect and abilities. I had hoped to make it a career but do to injuries and illness that didn't happen. Though, I am proud to call myself a disabled veteran, proudly display my Veteran license plate on both my vehicles and proud I was the third generation in my family to serve. My Great-Uncle served during World War II in the Coast Guard reserves, my Uncle Dave in Vietnam with the Air Force. Some day I hope to live on the coast and participate in the Coast Guard auxiliary. Now, I am using my post 911 G.I. Bill benefits and have completed my Master's degree. Thank you to all that have served.

No comments:

Post a Comment